The Chancellor Philip Hammond presented the last Spring Budget on Wednesday 8 March 2017.
In his speech the Chancellor reported on 'an economy set to grow faster than any other major advanced economy in the world'.
In his speech the Chancellor was keen to point out that he wanted the tax system to be fair, particularly in relation to the distinction between employed and self-employed individuals.
Main Budget tax proposals
Our summary concentrates on the tax measures which include:
- increases to the Class 4 National Insurance rates
- a reduction in the Dividend Allowance
- changes to the timing of Making Tax Digital for smaller businesses.
Previously announced measures include:
- increases to the personal allowance and basic rate band (a decreased band for Scottish residents)
- the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy
- changes to corporation tax loss relief
- the introduction of an additional inheritance tax residence nil rate band
- changes for non-UK domiciled individuals